Saturday, March 5, 2011

This and That

I am going today to a funeral in Higden. I have become more sensitive to such things after the passing of my mother. I remember every kind word, card, memorial donation, visit, acts of kindness (like picking up Joel and me up from the airport or teaching my class), and meals brought. It was so special to see friends from congregations where I have preached make the effort to come to the memorial service. I am blessed to have so many friends who still care after many many years.
****
I am teaching 2 Corinthians on Sunday Mornings and I have been surprised how relevant it is to my life. I am looking forward to teaching it again next quarter. I love this passage: 2 Cor.5: 1 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2 Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3 because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4 For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

The Spirit of God is a guarantee of Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel sorry for those who do not believe that we are really given the Holy Spirit. So many things are uncertain but we have a guarantee from God.


No comments: